This 4 ingredient No Knead Dutch Oven Bread is perfect for beginner bakers and is so simple to make. it only requires four simple ingredients and a dutch oven to make bakery-style bread with a crispy crust and a tender center.
Back in the day, bread was made nearly every day. Nowadays, it's no longer a part of our daily lives as we can purchase bread almost anywhere. However, there are many benefits to making bread at home, especially when it can easily be made in the dutch oven!
No knead bread means that it doesn't require all the elbow grease of kneading it for minutes on end. This no-knead recipe gives you a delicious, crunchy, and light texture of no-knead yeast bread without all the time and effort that come with traditional bread recipes.
And it's made with just 4 simple ingredients: flour, yeast, salt, and hot water.
Slice up this crusty artisan bread and serve it alongside soups and salads or use it in your favorite sandwich recipes!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- With just four ingredients, you can count on this bread being healthy and free of any chemicals, preservatives or synthetic vitamins.
- A great way to reduce your grocery budget by making bread from scratch.
- This bread can be used in a variety of different ways, from sandwiches to toast.
- This dutch oven bread is also incredibly easy to make; no need for a bread machine and no kneading!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- All-Purpose Flour - This is the type of flour that most people have on hand, and it's perfect for no-knead recipes.
- Yeast - This is the key ingredient that helps the bread rise and gets a nice, fluffy texture.
- Salt - It adds flavor to the bread and helps to activate the yeast.
- Hot Water - Hot water helps activate the yeast faster, giving you a better rise in less time. You'll need water that is between 105° and 110°F.
How To Make 4 Ingredient No Knead Bread In The Dutch Oven
Heat the water: Begin by heating the water to a temperature between 105°F and 110°F.
Mix the ingredients: In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, yeast, and salt. Pour in hot water and stir until it forms a dough. The dough will be sticky but not too sticky.
Cover and rise: Add plastic wrap to the bowl to cover. Leave the dough out at room temperature for 3-8 hours to let it rise.
Prepare for baking: When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 450° degrees. Form the dough into a ball and place it on parchment paper.
Bake in the dutch oven: Lower the dough and parchment paper into a dutch oven and cover. Bake for 30 minutes, remove the lid and continue to bake for 15 minutes until the top turns golden brown. Let cool before serving, and enjoy!
- The water temperature needs to be exact in order to activate the yeast properly. For best results, use a thermometer.
- Make sure that your yeast is not expired before making the recipe. Expired yeast will not rise properly.
- The dough should be sticky but not too sticky and wet. If it is too wet add a bit more flour.
- Using parchment paper in the dutch oven helps ensure it will not stick to the sides when baked at a high temperature.
- Add in herbs: Mix in some herbs, like rosemary or thyme, for an extra flavorful no knead bread. You can use freshly chopped or dried herbs.
- Add cheese: Add in cheddar cheese for a cheesy no knead bread that is perfect for toasted sandwiches!
- Add dried fruit: Add in currants, cranberries, or raisins for a no-knead bread with a sweet and savory flavor.
- Use flavor extracts: Add in some almond or vanilla extract for a no-knead bread with hints of sweetness.
There are so many ways you can use homemade dutch oven bread. Here are some of our favorites!
- Chop it up and toast it for croutons.
- Serve it alongside soups and salads for crunch.
- Use it to make sandwiches, sliders, or wraps.
- Enjoy a slice as toast for breakfast.
- Cube it up and use it in baked casserole dishes.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Once cooled, the bread can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Freezing: To freeze, wrap the bread tightly in parchment paper, then aluminum foil, and store in a freezer-friendly bag or container for up to 6 months.
No, this can actually be dangerous as the temperature of the Dutch oven gets very hot and can burn you when handling the room temperature dough.
Yes, whole wheat flour can be used in no-knead bread recipes. Just make sure to use the same amount of whole wheat flour as you would all-purpose flour.
Yes, no-knead bread can also be baked on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper at 400°F for 30 minutes. However, the texture may not be as crunchy on the outside.
More Side Dish Recipes
- Baked Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Best Ever Twice Baked Potatoes
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- Sheet Pan Breadsticks
SHARE IT & RATE IT
No Knead Dutch Oven Bread
- Add flour, salt, yeast, and hot water to a large bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 3-8 hours at room temperature.
- Preheat the over to 450° degrees.
- Form the dough into a ball and place it on parchment paper. Lower the dough and parchment paper into a dutch oven and cover.
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove the lid and continue to bake for 15 minutes until the top turns golden brown.
- Let cool before serving, and enjoy!
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.