This easy-to-make recipe combines the smoky flavor of bacon with nutrient-dense asparagus to create a decadent side dish that’s perfect for any main course. Enjoy Baked Bacon Wrapped Asparagus in just 20 minutes!
Fancy side dishes can be intimidating, but they don't have to be! If you've got a special occasion coming up where you're cooking at home, try bacon-wrapped asparagus! It's an easy way to impress your guests without too much effort. Plus, bacon always makes everything better!
Anyone can easily make this recipe with no chef skills required. Season the asparagus with some salt, pepper, and oil. Then use a slice of bacon to tightly wrap the asparagus spears. Top with a sprinkle of brown sugar and bake them up in the oven for about 20 minutes, and you've got a delicious bacon-wrapped side dish!
This decadent side dish pairs well with many main courses, including Grilled Teriyaki Chicken or Easy Air Fryer Chicken Breasts!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- The ingredient list is short and simple. All you need is asparagus, bacon, oil, and a few basic seasonings you may already have on hand.
- It looks like a fancy side dish, but it is very easy to make and great for a dinner party!
- The combination of asparagus with bacon creates a delicious flavor.
- You can serve this side with many different types of main courses.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Asparagus Stalks - You can find these in any grocery store, even when not in season.
- Bacon - The bacon gets cut in half lengthwise in order to wrap it around the thin asparagus perfectly.
- Olive Oil - Helps the asparagus bake in the oven keeping the inside tender.
- Salt & Pepper - Enhances the natural flavor of the asparagus.
- Brown Sugar - Gives the bacon a crispy caramelization with a hint of sweetness.
How To Make Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus In The Oven
Prepare for baking: Preheat oven to 400°. Place a wire rack on a tinfoil-lined baking sheet and set aside.
Trim the asparagus: Wash the asparagus with cold water. Trim the woody stems off of the bottom and place the asparagus on a large plate.
Season and wrap: Drizzle the trimmed asparagus with olive oil, then sprinkle the salt and pepper on top to season. Wrap the cut bacon around each asparagus spear, then place it on the prepared baking sheet seam side down. Sprinkle brown sugar on top.
Bake and serve: Bake the asparagus for 10 minutes. Flip with tongs, then bake on the other side for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the bacon is cooked and crispy.
- When choosing asparagus, look for fresh, green stalks with no discoloration. You will want spears that are about the same size, so they cook evenly.
- Be sure to wrap the bacon tightly around each asparagus spear to make sure it stays in place while baking.
- Make sure you don’t overcrowd the baking sheet so the bacon can get crisp.
- Expect bacon to shrink and wrap around the asparagus tighter as it cooks.
- The amount of time it takes to fully cook the bacon will depend on the thickness of the bacon. Thicker bacon will take longer to cook than thin bacon, so check it periodically to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- If bacon isn’t your thing, you can substitute it with prosciutto or even ham.
- You can also switch up the seasoning by adding garlic powder or dried herbs like oregano and thyme.
- To keep the sugar low, you can omit the brown sugar on top.
- For a lighter version of this recipe, wrap the asparagus with turkey bacon instead of pork bacon.
- Instead of wrapping asparagus, you can also wrap other vegetables, including tomatoes, Brussels sprouts, and mushrooms.
Storing: Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 3 days. Freezing is not recommended, as the asparagus will become too mushy once thawed.
Reheating: Bacon-wrapped asparagus can be reheated in the oven at 350°F for 5 minutes or until heated through. You can also reheat it in the air fryer at 400°F for 3-5 minutes.
Yes, bacon-wrapped asparagus is healthy. Asparagus is a nutrient-dense vegetable full of vitamins and minerals, while bacon can provide lean protein when consumed in moderation.
For this recipe, it is not necessary, as the bacon will cook in the oven. Blanching is usually used to soften vegetables before adding them to salads or other dishes.
Yes, bacon-wrapped asparagus can be cooked on the grill. Preheat the grill over medium heat and place bacon-wrapped asparagus directly on the grill. Cook each side for 5-7 minutes or until the bacon is cooked through.
Yes, bacon-wrapped asparagus can be cooked in the air fryer. Place bacon-wrapped asparagus in the preheated air fryer and cook for 8 minutes at 400°F or until bacon is crispy.
SHARE IT & RATE IT
We would love it if you would leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Then follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Share your favorite recipes or ask questions in our Facebook Group.
Baked Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- 24 stalks asparagus (washed and trimmed)
- 12 slices bacon (cut in half lengthwise)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place a wire rack on a tinfoil-lined baking sheet.
- Trim the woody ends of the asparagus off. Place the asparagus on a large plate and drizzle with olive oil. Then, sprinkle salt and pepper over the top.
- Tightly wrap the bacon around the asparagus and place it on the prepared baking sheet. Evenly sprinkle brown sugar over the top.
- Bake for 10 minutes, turn over the bacon, and continue to cook for 5-10 minutes.
- For extra crispy bacon, broil for 2-3 minutes after the cooking time is done.
- To make keto omit the brown sugar from the recipe.
- Do Not Use Thick Cut Bacon
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.
Leave a Reply