With tender egg noodles, juicy rotisserie chicken, and a rich and creamy mushroom sauce, this Easy Chicken Noodle Casserole is the ultimate comfort food. Topped with a crispy breadcrumb crust, this casserole is the perfect meal to make when you need something warm and satisfying!
Chicken noodle casserole is the ultimate comfort food! It's a delicious and hearty dish that's perfect for chilly nights or when you need to feed a crowd. It's easy to assemble and bake, and it's made with simple ingredients you can find at any grocery store!
This version of chicken noodle casserole is made with a creamy and flavorful mushroom sauce, which is made from cream of mushroom soup, milk, cream cheese, and cottage cheese. The sauce is then combined with cooked egg noodles, shredded rotisserie chicken, and frozen peas.
The mixture is then baked in the oven until heated through and topped off with a crispy breadcrumb topping. The result is a delicious and satisfying meal with a bit of crunch. Serve this casserole with a side salad or with Quick and Easy Sheet Pan Breadsticks!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This chicken noodle casserole is the epitome of comfort food - with tender egg noodles, juicy rotisserie chicken, and a creamy mushroom sauce, it's the ultimate cozy meal that will warm you up from the inside out!
- It's incredibly easy to make and perfect for meal prep - just bake it in a large casserole dish and portion out the leftovers for a quick and delicious lunch or dinner throughout the week.
- The creamy mushroom sauce is the star of the show - made with cream cheese, cottage cheese, and cream of mushroom soup, it's rich and flavorful without being too heavy.
- The crispy breadcrumb topping adds a satisfying crunch to this dish, which rounds it out perfectly!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Egg Noodles - Provides a comforting and filling base for the casserole. Egg noodles also hold onto the sauce well.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup - Adds richness and depth of mushroom flavor to the dish.
- Milk - Thins out the cream of mushroom soup and adds creaminess to the sauce.
- Cream Cheese & Cottage Cheese- Adds tanginess and a smooth, velvety texture to the creamy sauce.
- Seasonings- A mix of black pepper and poultry seasoning adds a savory and herby flavor to the dish.
- Yellow Onion - Adds mild onion flavor throughout the dish that pairs well with the rest of the flavors.
- Frozen Peas - Adds pops of green color and sweetness to the dish, as well as a nutritional boost.
- Cooked Rotisserie Chicken - Makes up the main satisfying protein in the casserole. You can use cooked chicken leftovers or chicken from a cooked rotisserie chicken.
- Bread Crumbs - Adds a crispy and crunchy texture to the top casserole when baked.
- Melted Butter - Helps the bread crumbs brown and adds richness to the topping.
How To Make Chicken Noodle Casserole
Prepare for baking: Preheat oven to 375℉. Prepare a 9 x 13 baking dish by spraying it with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
Cook the noodles: Add the egg noodles to a pot of boiling water and cook until al dente. Follow the package directions. Drain the cooked noodles and set aside.
Mix the sauce: In a large mixing bowl, add the cream of mushroom soup, milk, cream cheese, cottage cheese, black pepper, and poultry seasoning. Mix until well combined.
Assemble the casserole: To the sauce, gently fold in the shredded chicken, peas, and cooked noodles until fully coated. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
Add the topping: Combine the breadcrumbs and melted butter in a small bowl and mix to combine. Evenly distribute over the top of the casserole.
Bake and cool: Bake the casserole in the oven for 30 minutes or until its warmed through the center and the top is golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- To save time, use pre-cooked rotisserie chicken for this recipe - it's already seasoned and tender, making it a quick and easy protein source for the casserole.
- Cook the egg noodles until al dente and drain them well before adding them to the casserole. This will prevent them from becoming mushy and soggy during baking.
- To make the creamy mushroom sauce extra smooth and velvety, soften the cream cheese before adding it to the mixture. You can do this by leaving it at room temperature for about an hour or microwaving it for 10-15 seconds.
- To make the breadcrumb topping extra crispy, use fresh breadcrumbs instead of store-bought ones. You can make them by pulsing a few slices of bread in a food processor until they're finely ground.
- To add a little kick to this dish, try adding a teaspoon of red pepper flakes or hot sauce to the creamy mushroom sauce.
- For a vegetarian version, omit the chicken and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth in the recipe. Add in some sautéed mushrooms or other vegetables for extra flavor and texture.
- For a lighter version, use reduced-fat cream cheese, milk, and cottage cheese, and skip the breadcrumb topping.
- Experiment with different types of cream soups like cream of chicken or cream of celery.
- Add some cooked bacon or ham to the casserole for a salty, smoky flavor.
- Swap out the egg noodles for a heartier pasta like penne or fusilli.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: To store any leftovers, let the casserole cool to room temperature, then cover it tightly with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days. When ready to eat, reheat individual servings in the microwave or oven until heated through.
Freezing: To freeze the casserole, prepare the casserole as instructed, but do not add the breadcrumb topping. Cover the casserole tightly with foil or plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to bake, remove the casserole from the freezer and let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Once thawed, add the breadcrumb topping and bake as instructed. To bake from frozen, add an additional 10-15 minutes to the baking time.
The best noodles to use for this recipe are egg noodles. They hold their shape and texture well during baking, so they don't get soggy or mushy as long as they are cooked al dente.
If you don't have cottage cheese on hand, you can use Greek yogurt or additional sour cream for a similarly creamy texture.
Yes, you can assemble the casserole and store it in the refrigerator overnight before baking. When ready to bake, preheat the oven and bake as instructed.
More Hearty Dinner Recipes
- The Best Chicken Spaghetti
- Creamy Chicken Fajita Pasta
- Creamy Corn Chowder Recipe
- Creamy Tuscan Garlic Chicken
- Easy Puff Pastry Chicken Pot Pie
- Honey Teriyaki Chicken
SHARE IT & RATE IT
We would love it if you would leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Then follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Share your favorite recipes or ask questions in our Facebook Group.
Easy Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 3 cups cups dry egg noodles (about 12 ounces)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 1¼ cup cottage cheese
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp poultry seasoning
- ½ cup yellow onion (diced)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 cups cooked chicken (I used rotisserie chicken and shredded it)
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- Preheat oven to 375℉. Prepare a 9 x 13 baking dish by spraying it with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook the egg noodles in boiling water until al dente, following the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Add cream of mushroom soup, milk, cream cheese, cottage cheese, black pepper, and poultry seasoning in a large bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Gently fold in chicken, peas, and cooked noodles. Then, pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs and butter. Mix until well combined and sprinkle over the top of the noodles.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through; the top is golden brown.
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.
Leave a Reply