Add Italian flair to your dinner by making this Creamy Tuscan Garlic Chicken! Chicken breast is cooked in a flavorful parmesan garlic cream sauce and served over your favorite pasta or side dish. It's a skillet meal that is easy enough to make on any busy weeknight!
Love the flavor of fresh Italian cooking? This skillet meal features chicken breasts cooked in a delicious parmesan cream sauce that’s flavored with garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, and spinach. It all comes together quickly in one pan, making it an easy weeknight meal that tastes like you spent hours in the kitchen.
In addition to the chicken breast, all you need are pantry staples like cream, butter, parmesan cheese, garlic, and olive oil. This dish is also versatile--it can be enjoyed with your favorite pasta, rice, breadsticks, or even a side of mashed potatoes!
No matter how you enjoy it, this dish will be on your dinner rotation when you need an easy chicken recipe that's ready in 30 minutes or less!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- A great way to shake up your chicken routine when you need something comforting and satisfying.
- This chicken dish is made with clean and simple ingredients that are packed with protein and nutrient dense.
- Tuscan chicken is made in just one skillet!
- When you're short on time and need to get dinner on the table fast, this parmesan garlic chicken is your answer!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken Breast - You'll need chicken breasts that are cut lengthwise into two thin pieces. This ensures they cook evenly.
- Olive Oil - Used to sear the chicken breast to give it a nice golden brown crust.
- Dried Seasonings - A mix of salt, pepper, paprika, and Italian seasoning come together to naturally enhance the flavor of the chicken breast and the creamy sauce.
- Minced Garlic - Italian cooking is nothing without the bold flavors of fresh garlic.
- Heavy Cream - Makes the sauce rich and creamy, so it coats the chicken.
- Chicken Broth - Thins out the sauce to the proper consistency while adding even more comforting chicken flavor.
- Parmesan Cheese - Gives this dish its salty, cheesy, parmesan kick of flavor.
- Baby Spinach - Adds fresh green color, nutrients, and texture to the sauce.
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes - Adds an acidic balance to the mix while also adding a naturally sweet tomato flavor.
How To Make Creamy Tuscan Garlic Chicken In A Skillet
Prepare the chicken: Pat the chicken breast dry with a paper towel. Slice with a sharp knife lengthwise to get two thin pieces. Season both sides with salt, pepper, and paprika.
Cook the chicken breast: Add the olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the seasoned chicken breasts and cook on each side for 6-8 minutes or until the chicken is browned and fully cooked. Remove and place them on a plate covered with foil.
Assemble the sauce: Turn the skillet heat down to medium-low. Add the heavy cream, chicken broth, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Whisk continuously until the sauce starts to bubble. Slowly whisk in parmesan until completely melted. Add the sundried tomatoes and spinach. Stir occasionally until the spinach starts to wilt.
Add chicken and serve: Add chicken back into the sauce and coat with the creamy parmesan garlic cream sauce. Serve over pasta, rice, or steamed vegetables. Enjoy!
- Cutting the chicken breast into two pieces allows it to cook more quickly and evenly. Use a sharp knife to cut it lengthwise into thin chicken breasts.
- Ensure your skillet is hot before adding the chicken breast. Otherwise, it won’t get a nice golden crust.
- The safe internal temperature of chicken breast is 165°F. Use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken is cooked through before serving.
- Reduce the heat after removing the chicken, as high heat can scorch the sauce.
- The tomatoes and spinach get added last because they don’t need to cook for very long, and you don't want the spinach to get mushy as the sauce cooks.
- Add veggies: Add other vegetables, such as mushrooms or bell peppers.
- Make it vegetarian: For a vegetarian version of the recipe, replace the chicken with tofu cubes. Use two cans of full-fat coconut milk instead of heavy cream for a paleo and dairy-free option.
- Use different proteins: Instead of chicken breast, you can use chicken thighs or even shrimp.
- For a lighter version: Use half-and-half instead of heavy cream.
- Spice it up: To the sauce, add a pinch of red pepper flakes or a dash of cayenne pepper.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Once the chicken is cooled, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Freezing: Place the cooked chicken in a freezer-safe bag or container and freeze it for up to 3 months. When you are ready to enjoy, let it thaw overnight in the fridge, then reheat it in a skillet over medium heat until warmed through.
You'll need to thaw the chicken first, as the frozen chicken will release too much water that will thin out the cream sauce.
Yes, you can replace the parmesan with mozzarella or provolone for a milder flavor. You can also use pecorino romano or feta cheese.
Yes, as long as you serve it with low-carb sides such as zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice or over a bed of steamed vegetables.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
- Easy White Chicken Enchiladas with Sour Cream
- Easy Puff Pastry Chicken Pot Pie
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Honey Teriyaki Chicken
- Grilled Teriyaki Chicken
- Easy Creamy Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
SHARE IT & RATE IT
We would love it if you would leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Then follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Share your favorite recipes or ask questions in our Facebook Group.
Creamy Tuscan Garlic Chicken
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2 chicken breasts sliced in half lengthwise)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup baby spinach (chopped)
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- Thinly slice the chicken into six fillets lengthwise. Season both sides of the chicken with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Cook the chicken for 6-8 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through. Then, remove and set aside. Cover with aluminum foil on a plate
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and add the heavy cream, chicken broth, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Whisk continuously until the sauce starts to bubble. Slowly whisk in parmesan until completely melted.
- Add the sundried tomatoes and spinach. Stir occasionally until the spinach starts to wilt. Add chicken back into the sauce and coat.
- Serve over pasta or rice, and enjoy!
- Chicken thighs can be substituted. You will need to add 1-2 minutes per side when cooking in the skillet.
- To lighten this dish up and make it healthier. You can substitute the heavy cream for milk or half & half. Mix ¼ cup of your substitute and whisk in 2 tbsp of cornstarch. Whisk into the sauce before adding the parmesan cheese.
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.
Leave a Reply