Easter is just around the corner, and what better way to celebrate than with some delicious Easter Egg Cupcakes! These colorful and festive treats are the perfect addition to any Easter celebration and have a moist vanilla cupcake base, creamy frosting, and jelly bean decorations. These cupcakes are not only easy to make but also a delight to eat!
Easter Egg Cupcakes are a fun and festive dessert option for any Easter celebration. These cupcakes are made with a moist vanilla cake base that's loaded with coconut flakes and tinted a beautiful pastel green color. To make them even more special, they're decorated with small jelly beans and a creamy cream cheese frosting.
With their pastel green color and fun jelly bean decorations, they're sure to be a hit with kids and adults. And the best part? They're easy to make! You can whip up a batch of these cupcakes in no time with the help of a boxed vanilla cake mix.
These cupcakes are a great option for Easter because they're so versatile and can be brought for dessert, brunch, or any springtime celebration. Plus, they're a fun way to get into the holiday spirit and are great to make with kids!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- They're a fun and unique twist on traditional Easter desserts. Instead of the usual chocolate bunnies and eggs, these cupcakes are a delicious and colorful treat that everyone will enjoy.
- These cupcakes are also incredibly easy to make, thanks to the use of a pre-made cake mix. You can whip up a batch of these cupcakes in no time.
- The combination of moist vanilla cake, sweet coconut flakes, and creamy cream cheese frosting has the perfect flavor, and the addition of small jelly beans on top adds texture and color to each bite.
- Whether you're celebrating Easter with a large gathering or just a small group, these Easter Egg Cupcakes are the best dessert option.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Vanilla Cake Mix - The base of these Easter Egg Cupcakes is a vanilla cake mix, which provides a light and fluffy texture and a sweet, buttery flavor. You'll also need the ingredients used to make the cake mix which can include oil, eggs, or butter.
- Coconut Flakes - These small, shredded coconut pieces add a chewy texture and a subtle tropical flavor to the frosting.
- Green Food Coloring - Used to tint the coconut flakes a beautiful pastel green color, adding a fun and festive touch to the recipe making them look like grass studded with Easter eggs.
- Small Jelly Beans - These colorful little candies are used as a decorative topping for cupcakes, adding a crunchy texture and a burst of sweetness.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Cream Cheese - The main ingredient in the creamy frosting that tops the cupcakes. It provides a tangy, slightly tart flavor that balances out the sweetness of the cupcakes and adds a rich, creamy texture.
- Butter - Combines with the cream cheese to create a smooth and velvety frosting that's easy to spread onto the cupcakes.
- Vanilla Extract - Enhances the flavor of the cupcakes and provides a warm, comforting aroma.
- Powdered Sugar - Used to sweeten the frosting and help thicken it to the desired consistency.
How To Make Easter Egg Cupcakes
Prepare for baking: Using a muffin tin, add cupcake liners and set aside. Preheat the oven according to the instructions on the box. Pour the cupcake batter into the prepared muffin tins and bake as directed.
Make the cream cheese frosting: To the bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla extract. Whip until smooth. Then, slowly add the powdered sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
Frost the cupcakes: Once the cupcakes are completely smooth, add the frosting to a piping bag with a round tip. Start at the edge of the round cupcake and frost in a circular motion into the center until fully frosted.
Decorate the cupcakes: Add the shredded coconut to a bowl and put a few drops of green food coloring in the bowl. Mix with a fork to distribute. Add the green coconut shreds to the top of the cupcake, then top with three small jelly beans. Enjoy!
- Before making this recipe, make sure you have all of the ingredients listed AND the ingredients for the boxed cake mix.
- To make the cupcakes even more moist and flavorful, consider substituting milk or buttermilk for the water called for on the cake mix box. This will add a richer and creamier texture to the cupcakes.
- When making the cream cheese frosting, make sure that the butter and cream cheese are both softened at room temperature before mixing. This will make it easier to blend the two ingredients together and create a smooth, creamy frosting.
- Make sure the cupcakes are fully cooled before adding the frosting to ensure it doesn't melt off.
- To achieve perfectly shaped cupcakes with a more professional look, use a piping bag and a large star tip to frost the cupcakes. This will create a beautiful swirl pattern on top of each cupcake and give them a more polished appearance.
- Don't overfill the muffin tins with the cupcake batter. Fill each liner about two-thirds full to prevent the cupcakes from spilling over and becoming misshapen.
- For a tropical twist on the classic recipe, try adding crushed pineapple to the cupcake batter.
- If you're a fan of chocolate, try adding a tablespoon of cocoa powder to the cupcake batter for a rich and chocolaty flavor.
- To make the cupcakes even more colorful, consider adding a variety of food coloring to the batter to create a rainbow effect.
- Instead of jellybeans, use small marshmallows or chocolate candies on top of the cupcakes.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Place leftover cupcakes in an airtight container and keep them in the refrigerator for up to three days. Avoid stacking them on top of each other to prevent the frosting from smudging.
Freezing: Freeze the cupcakes in an airtight container spaced apart without the frosting for up to 2 months. When ready to serve, allow the cupcakes to thaw at room temperature for several hours before adding the frosting and decorations.
More Colorful Dessert Recipes
- Fruity Pebbles Rice Crispy Treats
- Lucky Charm Rice Krispie Treats
- Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars
- Raspberry Lemonade Cookies
- Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies
SHARE IT & RATE IT
Easter Egg Cupcakes
- 1 vanilla cake mix **plus ingredients as instructed on the back of the box. ****
- ⅔ cup coconut flakes
- green food coloring
- ½ cup small jelly beans
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3½-4 cups powdered sugar
- Using a muffin tin, add cupcake liners and set aside.
- Following the instructions on the cake box, make the muffin batter as directed.
- Add the batter to the lined muffin tins being careful not to overfill them.
- Bake as instructed.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Using a stand mixer, add softened butter, cream cheese, and vanilla extract. Whip together using the whisk attachment.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes using a piping bag with a round tip. Starting from the edges of the cupcakes, move in a circular motion until you have the desired amount of frosting.
- Add the coconut to a bowl, add a couple of drops of green food coloring, and mix together using a fork.
- Add a small amount of coconut flakes to the top of each cupcake and top with three jelly beans.
- Serve and enjoy!
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.