Bursting with citrusy flavor and fluffy textures, this delightful dessert is a family favorite with just six simple ingredients! Learn how to make the Best Orange Fluff Salad Recipe for summer parties, BBQs, and picnics!
Fluff salad, also known as ambrosia salad, is a dessert that has its roots in American culture. This light dessert is typically made with a combination of whipped cream or whipped topping and various ingredients like canned fruit, marshmallows, or coconut. It’s creamy and airy consistency gives it a soft and fluffy texture, which is both unique and delicious!
This airy and easy dessert is super versatile and can be made in a variety of different flavors, including orange! It uses a unique combination of non-instant vanilla pudding and orange Jello, resulting in a smooth and flavorful base that sets it apart from other recipes. Two 15-ounce cans of mandarin oranges infuse the salad with bursts of tangy citrus goodness, perfectly complementing the creamy texture along with mini marshmallows and Cool Whip.
The simplicity of just six easy-to-find ingredients means that anyone can create this iconic American dessert to serve on holidays, birthdays, or any special occasion; you need a rich-tasting dessert that’s light and refreshing!
If you are looking for more yummy salad recipes. I highly recommend our Strawberry Jello Pretzel Salad or our Strawberry and Blueberry Pound Cake Trifle. They are the sweet side dish for your next potluck or family gatherings. They are guaranteed to be a crowd favorite that will feed a lot of people.
Why You’ll Love This Orange Jello Fluff Recipe
- This orange fluff recipe has a velvety combination of vanilla pudding and the orange Jello flavor creates a creamy base that makes a melt-in-your-mouth creamy dessert.
- With two 15-ounce cans of juicy mandarin oranges, this fluff salad is infused with vibrant citrus flavors, adding a refreshing and tangy twist.
- Fluffy marshmallows and Cool Whip not only enhances the sweetness but also introduce softness, making it light and airy.
- With just six simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, this recipe offers a hassle-free way to enjoy an easy American classic that may be the perfect side dish!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Vanilla Pudding Mix (Not Instant) - Serves as the base of the fluff salad, providing a rich and creamy texture while infusing a vanilla flavor throughout the dessert.
- Canned Drained Mandarin Oranges - Add a burst of bright and tangy citrus notes to the fluff salad, balancing the sweetness and providing juicy, tender fruit pieces throughout the dessert.
- Orange Jello - Brings a vibrant and concentrated citrus flavor to the salad, intensifying the orange essence while adding texture.
- Mini Marshmallows - Adds a chewy texture and a touch of sweetness to the salad. My favorite part of this salad is the texture of the marshmallows.
- Cool Whip - Lightens and fluffs up the salad, contributing to its airy and creamy consistency.
- Water - Used to mix with the vanilla pudding and orange Jello in the cooking process, allowing them to dissolve and combine thoroughly, resulting in a smooth and well-blended base for the fluff salad.
How To Make Orange Fluff Salad
Cook the orange flavor jello and pudding: Add the water to a medium saucepan and whisk in packets of jello and pudding mix until well combined. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil over medium heat, then remove from the pan. Pour the mixture into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let it set in the fridge to set for 4-6 hours.
Whip the jello: After the pudding and jello have set, place it into a large mixing bowl or stand mixer. Mix with a whisk attachment and whip until smooth and fluffy.
Add remaining ingredients to the fluff mixture: To the whipped mixture, fold in the Cool Whip, mini marshmallows, and mandarin orange pieces until well combined. Serve while cold, and enjoy!
- When combining the vanilla pudding mix, orange Jello, and water in the saucepan, use a whisk to ensure the ingredients blend smoothly without any lumps, resulting in a velvety and consistent mixture.
- While heating the mixture in the saucepan, be sure to bring it to a rolling boil over medium heat. Avoid high heat, as it may cause the mixture to scorch or curdle.
- After cooking the mixture, refrigerate it for a minimum of 4-6 hours, or even overnight, to allow the flavors to meld and the salad to set properly, achieving the ideal creamy and fluffy consistency.
- When incorporating the canned mandarin oranges into the salad, make sure to drain them thoroughly. This step prevents excess liquid from diluting the flavors and maintains the desired texture of the dish.
- When folding in the Cool Whip, marshmallows, and mandarin oranges, use a gentle folding motion to avoid deflating the fluffiness. This preserves the salad's airy texture.
- This recipe is an excellent make-ahead dessert for gatherings. Prepare the salad a day in advance and keep it refrigerated until serving time.
- For a taste of the tropics, swap the mandarin oranges for chunks of fresh pineapple and add shredded coconut to the mix.
- Introduce a burst of berry goodness by replacing the mandarin oranges with a mix of fresh strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries.
- For a chocolatey indulgence, stir in mini chocolate chips to the fluff salad while folding in the marshmallows and oranges.
- Incorporate chopped toasted pecans, walnuts, or almonds into the salad for a delightful nutty crunch that complements the creamy and fruity elements, adding an extra layer of texture and flavor.
- If you like a little texture in your orange fluff jello salad. You can substitute the jello mixture with cottage cheese.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Cover the bowl or transfer it to an airtight container. Refrigerate the salad for up to 3-4 days. Before serving any leftovers, gently stir the salad to redistribute the flavors and textures.
While fluff salad can be stored in the refrigerator, it is not recommended for freezing. The creamy and fluffy texture may not hold up well during the freezing and thawing process, leading to separation of ingredients.
It's best to use non-instant vanilla pudding for this recipe, as it requires cooking to achieve the desired texture and flavor. Instant pudding will alter the texture of the fluff.
While fresh oranges can be used, canned mandarin oranges are recommended for this recipe due to their tenderness and sweetness.
If you're looking to substitute marshmallows in fluff salad, use toasted coconut flakes or chopped nuts like pecans or almonds to introduce a crunch to add texture and a nutty flavor.
More Easy Fruit Desserts
- Easy Fruit Pizza
- Strawberry Fluff Salad
- Strawberry and Blueberry Poundcake Trifle
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad
SHARE IT & RATE IT
Orange Fluff Salad Recipe
- 5.1 oz Vanilla Pudding mix Not the instant kind
- 30 oz canned mandarin oranges 2-15oz cans
- 6 oz Orange Jello
- 10 oz mini marshmallows
- 16 oz Cool Whip
- 3 cups water
- Whisk together the Pudding, Jello, and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil and remove the pan from the heat. Pour the mixture into a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 4-6 hours.
- Once the mixture has chilled, remove it from the refrigerator. Place the mixture into a large mixing bowl. You can use either and hand mixer or a stand mixer with the wire whisk attachment. Whip the Jello until it is smooth and fluffy.
- Gently fold in the Cool Whip, Marshmallows, and mandarin oranges until well blended.
- Serve and Enjoy!
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.