Indulge in a heavenly treat that's both beautiful and delicious with this Strawberry and Blueberry Pound Cake Trifle. This layered dessert is a symphony of flavors and textures, featuring moist pound cake, creamy vanilla cream cheese, and fresh berries. Perfect for when you need a quick and easy dessert for the warmer months!
Trifle is a classic British dessert that typically consists of layers of sponge cake or ladyfingers, fruit, custard, and whipped cream. This variation uses pound cake instead of sponge cake, giving it a denser texture and richer flavor that pairs perfectly with fresh berries and creamy vanilla cream cheese!
Fresh strawberries and blueberries are the stars of the show, providing a burst of juicy sweetness and tangy tartness in every bite. The cream cheese layer adds a decadent and velvety touch to the dessert, while the whipped cream gives it a light and airy finish. The combination of flavors and textures is simply divine, creating a dessert that's both satisfying and refreshing.
One of the best things about this Strawberry and Blueberry Pound Cake Trifle is that it's an easy dessert to make for warmer weather gatherings. With no oven required, you can whip up this no-bake dessert in no time and serve it chilled for a refreshing and satisfying treat.
The layering process is simple and fun, allowing you to get creative with the presentation and make it as fancy or casual as you want. Plus, the trifle dish or glass bowl adds a touch of elegance to any table setting, making it a perfect dessert option for parties, potlucks, or family dinners!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This easy dessert has a balance of sweet and tart flavors, thanks to the fresh strawberries and blueberries that are generously layered throughout the trifle.
- The creamy and velvety texture of the vanilla cream cheese layer is the ultimate indulgence, adding a luxurious touch.
- With its stunning presentation and effortless layering, this berries and cream trifle looks like it came from a bakery!
- This recipe is perfect for warmer weather gatherings, as it's chilled and refreshing, making it a delicious and satisfying way to cool down on a hot day.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Pound Cake - This dense and buttery cake acts as the base of the trifle, providing a sturdy and delicious foundation for the layers of fruit and cream.
- Strawberries and Blueberries - Fresh and juicy berries add a pop of vibrant color and sweet-tart flavor to the trifle.
- Cream Cheese - Softened cream cheese is the main ingredient in the creamy vanilla layer, adding a rich and tangy flavor that complements the sweetness of the fruit.
- Powdered Sugar - This fine and smooth sugar is used to sweeten the cream cheese layer, creating a silky smooth texture.
- Vanilla Extract - This aromatic extract is added to the cream cheese layer, giving it a warm and comforting taste.
- Heavy Cream - Whipped to form soft peaks and then folded into the cream cheese mixture, adding a light and fluffy texture.
- Granulated Sugar - Coarse sugar is mixed with the sliced strawberries and blueberries, creating a sweet syrup that macerates the fruit and intensifies its natural sweetness.
How To Make Pound Cake Trifle With Strawberries and Blueberries
Sweeten and soften the berries: Place sliced strawberries and whole blueberries in a bowl. Stir in granulated sugar, cover with plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Assemble the cream cheese layer: Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer, whip the softened cream cheese using the wire whisk attachment. Next, add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Whip together until smooth and creamy.
Make the whipped cream: In a separate bowl, whip the heavy cream until it forms soft peaks. Add the whipped cream to the cream cheese mixture and gently fold it together.
Layer the trifle: In a trifle dish or a glass bowl, layer ⅓ of the cubed pound cake on the bottom. Next, add ¼ of the cream cheese mixture over the pound cake. Then, add ⅓ of the fresh strawberries and blueberries. Continue layering until you have three layers of each.
Garnish and serve: Use the remaining cream cheese mixture to cover the top, and garnish with the reserved whole strawberries. Serve and enjoy!
- To make sure the pound cake cubes are evenly sized. Use a serrated knife to trim the edges and cut the cake into 1-inch cubes. This will ensure that each layer of the trifle has a consistent texture and appearance.
- Reserve a few whole strawberries for garnish on top of the trifle.
- When whipping the cream cheese, make sure it is softened to room temperature to ensure a smooth and creamy texture. You can speed up the process by microwaving it in 10-second intervals until it's soft. Be careful not to melt it all the way.
- Use a large mixing bowl and a wire whisk attachment when whipping the heavy cream to ensure that it forms soft peaks.
- For best results, chill the trifle in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to come together and the cream cheese layer to set.
- For a tropical twist, add fresh chunks of pineapple and shredded coconut to the layers of the trifle. This will give it a deliciously fruity and exotic flavor that's perfect for summer.
- For a chocolatey twist, swap the pound cake for chocolate pound cake and add chocolate chips to the layers of the trifle.
- Brush each layer of the pound cake with a layer of your favorite liqueur, such as Amaretto, Grand Marnier, or Kahlua. This will add a subtle yet delicious hint of alcohol to the trifle that's perfect for adult gatherings.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts, such as almonds, hazelnuts, or pecans, between the layers of the trifle. This will add a crunchy and flavorful texture that pairs beautifully with the creamy vanilla layer and fresh berries.
- Use fresh citrus fruit, such as oranges, lemons, or limes, to the trifle for a bright citrus flavor.
To store the berry pound cake trifle. Cover it tightly with plastic wrap or transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate it for up to 3 days. It's important to keep it chilled to prevent the cream cheese layer from melting and the fruit from spoiling.
Unfortunately, this trifle is not suitable for freezing. The texture and consistency of the layers will be soggy after thawing.
For the best flavor results, it's best to make the trifle the night before. This will give the flavors time to marry and intensify, and it will also allow the cream cheese layer to set firmly.
Fresh berries are best in this recipe, as frozen ones will release too much liquid when thawed, making the trifle soggy.
Yes, you can substitute the cream cheese for plain full-fat Greek yogurt. This will give the trifle a softer and milder flavor. You can also use a combination of both cream cheese and yogurt if desired.
More Easy Dessert Recipes
- Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars
- Homemade Cherry Turnovers with Puff Pastry
- Twix Thumbprint Cookies
- Best Ever Banana Bread
SHARE IT & RATE IT
We would love it if you would leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Then follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Share your favorite recipes or ask questions in our Facebook Group.
Strawberry and Blueberry Pound Cake Trifle
- 16 oz pound cake cut into 1 inch cubes.
- 2 lbs fresh strawberries cut up. Reserve 6 large strawberries to garnish the top.
- 16 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 lb fresh blueberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar.
- Place sliced strawberries and whole blueberries in a bowl. Stir in granulated sugar, cover with plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer, whip the softened cream cheese using the wire whisk attachment. Next, add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Whip together until smooth and creamy.
- In a separate bowl, whip the heavy cream until it forms soft peaks. Add the whipped cream to the cream cheese mixture and gently fold it together.
- In a truffle dish or a glass bowl, layer ⅓ of the cubed pound cake on the bottom. Next, add ¼ of the cream cheese mixture over the pound cake. Then, add ⅓ of the fresh strawberries and blueberries. Continue layering until you have 3 layers of each. Use the remaining Cream cheese mixture and cover the top, garnish with the reserved whole strawberries. Serve and enjoy!
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.
Leave a Reply