This Easy Taco Soup Recipe is made with simple ingredients like lean ground beef, beans, tomatoes, and herby ranch seasoning. It's perfect for busy weeknights when you don't have time to spend hours in the kitchen and can be served with your favorite toppings!
The delicious, complex flavor of tacos is great to enjoy any time of the year. This Tex-Mex soup recipe allows you to enjoy all of the flavors of taco night in a hearty soup that is made with simple pantry ingredients!
Ground beef is cooked in a pot along with onion and garlic until browned. Then, dump in beans, corn, diced tomatoes, and salsa. This taco soup also has the addition of ranch seasoning, which adds a bold, zesty flavor that elevates the entire soup.
Once it is brought to a boil, this taco soup with ranch dressing is simmered for 20 minutes when all of the flavors blend together perfectly. Ladle into bowls and serve with taco toppings like jalapenos, cheese, cilantro, and taco chips for a nourishing meal that's ready in just 30 minutes!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This Taco soup is packed with delicious taco flavors, and ranch seasoning, but it only requires simple, budget-friendly ingredients!
- You can tailor this dish to your liking by adding your favorite toppings or modifying the quantity of spices you include.
- It's ready in just 30 minutes, making it perfect for dinner on busy weeknights.
- It's a healthy, nourishing meal that's packed with nutrients and fiber.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Ground Beef - Gives this soup a hearty beef flavor and adds protein and texture throughout.
- Olive Oil - Used to saute the ground beef to brown it and allows the onion and garlic to soften and release their flavor.
- Garlic and Onion - Adds an aromatic punch to the soup, which pairs well with the ground beef.
- Beans - A mix of canned black beans and kidney beans make this soup hearty and full of fiber and protein.
- Corn - Gives the soup a sweet, crunchy texture and adds more fiber.
- Taco Seasoning - A blend of seasonings like chili powder, cumin, and oregano that adds traditional taco flavor to the soup.
- Diced Tomatoes - Creates a mild tomato sauce that helps all of the flavors meld together.
- Salsa - Adds an extra kick of taco flavor to this soup!
- Ranch Dressing Mix – Gives the taco soup a bold, zesty flavor with herbs and spices.
- Black Pepper - Adds an extra kick of flavor that balances out the spices.
How To Make Easy Taco Soup
Cook the beef and vegetables: Add the olive oil to a large pot and turn the heat to medium-high. First, add the garlic and quickly saute for 30 seconds. Add the onion and saute for three minutes before adding the ground beef. Break apart with a spatula, then cook until browned. Drain the excess fat and discard.
Add the soup ingredients: Add the drained ground beef back into the pot, followed by the drained beans, corn, tomatoes (undrained), taco seasoning, ranch seasoning, salsa, water, and black pepper. Stir until everything is fully combined.
Cook the soup: Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn it down to a simmer for 20 minutes with the lid on.
Garnish and serve: Ladle the taco soup into bowls and garnish with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
- Only cook the garlic for 30 seconds in the hot oil, as any longer can cause it to burn and become bitter.
- Make sure to drain the excess fat from the ground beef after browning. This will help keep your taco soup light and flavorful.
- Make sure to fully drain the liquid from the corn and the beans, as the canning liquid contains excess sodium. The tomatoes do NOT need to be drained.
- This soup tastes even better the next day as it allows the flavors to blend together further.
- Instead of ground beef, you can also use ground turkey or ground chicken.
- list five sentences that offer variations and customizations for this recipe:
- To make this taco soup vegan-friendly, substitute ground beef for your favorite plant-based protein.
- If you want a spicier taco soup, add more taco seasoning and/or diced jalapenos during cooking.
- To make this taco soup extra creamy, you can add a cup of plain Greek yogurt or sour cream to the pot during the last 10 minutes of simmering.
- Chopped cilantro
- Shredded cheese
- Plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Diced red onion
- Sliced jalapenos
- Tortilla strips or chips
- Fresh lime juice and wedges
- Black olives
- Hot sauce
Storing & Freezing
Storing: After cooling the taco soup, transfer it into an airtight container and refrigerate it for a maximum of 4 days.
Freezing: Transfer the taco soup into a freezer-safe bag or container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating on the stovetop.
Reheating: To achieve the best results when reheating taco soup, warm it up on the stovetop at medium heat until it is heated through. You can also reheat taco soup in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until hot.
Yes, simply brown the beef and vegetables before adding them to the slow cooker with the remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally.
Only if they are fully cooked before adding them to the soup, this soup does not cook long enough to allow dried beans to cook through fully.
Yes, you can use ⅓ cup of ranch dressing instead of the ranch seasoning in this recipe. This will make the soup creamy but it may not have as intense of a ranch flavor.
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Creamy Corn Chowder Recipe
- Best Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
- Easy Lasagna Soup Recipe
- Creamy Tortellini Soup with Spinach
SHARE IT & RATE IT
We would love it if you would leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Then follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Share your favorite recipes or ask questions in our Facebook Group.
Easy Taco Soup Recipe
- 1½ lbs ground beef
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ medium yellow onion (diced)
- 1 (15.25 oz) can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (15.25 oz) can of kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (15.25 oz) can of whole-kernel corn (drained and rinsed)
- 2 (15.25 oz) cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 (1 oz) package of taco seasoning
- 1 (1 oz) package of ranch seasoning
- 1 (16 oz) bottle of salsa (I used pace picante)
- 2½ cups water
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Then add onion and saute for 3 minutes. Add in ground beef and cook until completely browned. Then drain off excess grease.
- Add beans, corn, tomatoes, taco seasoning, ranch seasoning, salsa, water, and black pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Serve while hot with your favorite toppings.
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.
Leave a Reply