Get ready to indulge in a taste of nostalgia with these Fudgy Cosmic Brownie Cookies! These cookies are the perfect combination of fudgy brownies and soft cookies, with rich frosting and a sprinkle of colorful chocolate chips on top. This recipe is simple and easy to follow and will take you down a trip on memory lane!
If you love sweet treats and indulging in all things chocolate, then you're in for a treat with this recipe for fudgy cosmic brownie cookies! Originally created by the Little Debbie snack brand, cosmic brownies were a childhood favorite for many of us.
These delicious snacks were essentially chocolate fudge brownies topped with colorful candy-coated chocolate chips. The combination of fudgy brownies and sweet candy pieces was (and still is) a favorite among kids and adults. And now, with this recipe for fudgy cosmic brownie cookies, you can enjoy that same flavor in a soft and chewy cookie form.
One of the best things about this recipe is how simple and easy it is to make. You'll start by making a chocolate cookie made with simple pantry baking ingredients. Next comes the homemade rich chocolate frosting to spread on top, followed by a sprinkle of rainbow sprinkles for that cosmic effect!
Whether you're making them for a party or just to satisfy your sweet tooth, these cookies are sure to be a hit with everyone!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These fudgy cosmic brownie cookies are the ultimate indulgent treat that will satisfy any chocolate lover.
- The colorful rainbow chocolate chips on top add a fun and playful touch, making these cookies perfect for any occasion.
- This recipe is incredibly easy to follow, so even if you're not an experienced baker, you'll be able to whip up a batch of these nostalgic cookies in no time!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- All-Purpose Flour - Provides structure to the cookies and helps them hold their shape while baking.
- Cocoa Powder - Adds rich chocolate flavor and gives the cookies their signature brownie-like texture.
- Melted Butter - Gives the cookies a tender and moist crumb while also contributing to their rich flavor.
- Vanilla Extract - Enhances the flavor of the cookies and adds a subtle sweetness.
- Eggs - Bind the ingredients together and help to create a chewy texture.
- Granulated Sugar - Sweetens the cookies and contributes to their soft texture.
- Baking Soda - Acts as a leavening agent, helping the cookies to rise and become light and fluffy.
- Butter - Forms the base of the chocolate frosting and adds richness and creaminess with a buttery flavor.
- Powdered Sugar - Sweetens the frosting and helps to thicken it to a spreadable consistency.
- Cocoa Powder - Adds chocolate flavor and rich brown color to the frosting.
- Milk - Thins out the frosting to make it easier to spread and adds moisture to balance out the sweetness.
- Vanilla - Enhances the flavor of the frosting and adds a subtle sweetness.
- Rainbow Chocolate Chips - Add a fun and colorful touch to the cookies, adding extra texture and sweetness to each bite.
How To Make Cosmic Brownie Cookies
Prepare for baking: Preheat oven to 350° F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
Mix wet ingredients: Microwave the butter until mostly melted, then stir until it's completely melted. Add it to the bowl of a stand mixer and then pour in the sugar. Mix well, then add in the eggs and vanilla. Mix until fully combined.
Add the dry ingredients: While mixing, add the baking soda and the cocoa powder until fully mixed and well incorporated. Turn the mixer to a low speed, then slowly add the flour until everything is fully combined without overworking.
Scoop and bake: Use a two-inch cookie scoop to form cookies on the prepared baking sheet leaving 3 inches in between each. Rotate the cookie sheets baking only one at a time for 8-11 minutes.
Cool: Remove the baking sheets from the oven. Let the cookies sit on the baking sheet for 5-7 minutes before transferring them to a cooled baking sheet to cool completely.
Make the chocolate frosting: Melt the butter in a microwave-safe bowl in 15-second intervals. Add the cocoa powder to the mixture and mix it in. Then add the vanilla, and milk, and slowly add in the powdered sugar, and mix on high speed until everything is incorporated and a smooth chocolate frosting consistency is formed.
Decorate the cookies: Add the frosting to a piping bag with a round tip. Swirl the frosting onto the cookies, starting on the outside and working your way to the middle. While the frosting is still moist, sprinkle the rainbow chocolate chips on top. Enjoy!
- To ensure that your cookies are evenly sized and bake evenly, use a cookie scoop to portion out the dough onto the baking sheets.
- Don't overmix the cookie dough - mix just until the ingredients are well combined to avoid tough cookies.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. This will help them hold their shape and prevent them from falling apart.
- When making the chocolate frosting, start by mixing the butter and cocoa powder first to avoid lumps and ensure that the cocoa is evenly distributed.
- To make the frosting easier to swirl onto the cookies, transfer it to a piping bag fitted with a round tip before decorating. This will give you better control and make it easier to create neat and pretty designs.
- For an extra chocolatey twist, add a cup of chocolate chips to the cookie dough before baking.
- If you're a fan of nuts, try folding in some chopped walnuts or pecans to the cookie dough for added crunch and flavor.
- To make the cookies even more festive, swap out the rainbow chocolate chips for seasonal colors or sprinkles to match any occasion or holiday.
- For a gluten-free version, try using a gluten-free flour blend in place of the all-purpose flour.
- Add a teaspoon of espresso powder to the cookie dough. This will give your cookies a subtle coffee flavor and enhance the rich chocolate taste.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Once the cookies have cooled completely, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. If you want to keep them even longer, you can store them in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Freezing: To freeze the cookies, make sure they are completely cooled, and then place them in a single layer in a freezer-safe container with a lid or a freezer-safe zip-top bag. The cookies can be frozen for up to 3 months. To thaw, remove the cookies from the freezer and let them come to room temperature before enjoying them.
Rainbow chocolate chips can usually be found in the baking aisle of most grocery stores, especially around the holiday seasons like Easter or Christmas. If you can't find them in stores, they can also be ordered online.
Make sure you do not overmix the cookie dough. Underbaking your cookies slightly so that they are still soft when you remove them from the oven will also help create a fudgy cookie.
More Easy Chocolate Dessert Recipes
- Chocolate Frosted Shortbread Cookies
- Easy Mint Chocolate Brownies
- Hostess Cupcake Cookies
- Easy Brownie Cookies
SHARE IT & RATE IT
We would love it if you would leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Then follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Share your favorite recipes or ask questions in our Facebook Group.
Fudgy Cosmic Brownie Cookies
- 2 cups All-Purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup butter
- 2½-3 cup powdered sugar
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- 6 tsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup rainbow chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt butter in the microwave until mostly melted. Then stir the butter until it is completely melted, and pour the butter into the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add the sugar in with the butter and mix well. Next, add the eggs and vanilla and mix them together.
- Add the sugar in with the butter and mix well. Next, add the eggs and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Next, add the baking soda and the cocoa powder. Mix on low until the cocoa powder is well incorporated.
- While the mixer is at low speed, slowly add in the flour. Mix until everything is well combined.
- Using a 2-inch cookie scoop, place the cookies on the baking sheets leaving 3 inches between each cookie. Rotating the cookie sheet bake one at a time for 8-11 mins.
- Remove the cookies from the oven. Leave the cookies on the baking sheet for 5-7 minutes before removing them and placing them on a baking sheet. Cool completely.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in 15-second intervals until completely melted.
- Slowly add in the cocoa powder until it is mixed thoroughly.
- Next, add the vanilla and milk, and slowly stir in the powdered sugar mix until all the ingredients and well incorporated. Using an electric mixer, mix on high speed until you have the desired smooth consistency.
- Swirl the frosting onto the cookies using a piping bag with a round tip; swirl the frosting onto the cookies, starting on the outer edges and working your way into the center. Sprinkle with rainbow chocolate chips server and enjoy!
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.
Leave a Reply