Do you love Twix bars? Then you're going to LOVE these Twix Thumbprint Cookies! These simple sugar cookies are filled with delicious caramel, then topped with chocolate for a Twix-style cookie that is packed with flavor and smooth texture. Enjoy them for an easy dessert, or make them for a Christmas cookie exchange!
Twix bars are a popular candy bar made by Mars Inc. They consist of a biscuit base, topped with caramel, and coated in milk chocolate and have been enjoyed since 1967.
These Twix Thumbprint Cookies are a homemade version of the popular candy bar and are made with just a few simple ingredients. Start with a simple sugar cookie base and add a small well in the middle. Once cooled, fill the well with caramel and top with chocolate.
The result is a homemade Twix thumbprint that's packed with the smoothness of caramel and a rich chocolatey flavor that we all know and love!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This cookie combines all the popular candy bar flavors in a simple and easy-to-make cookie form!
- They’re perfect for any Twix fan and are great for sharing at parties or as a holiday gift.
- This recipe is also easily adaptable – you can use store-bought caramel and chocolate or make your own from scratch!
- Serve them with a glass of cold milk or a cup of hot coffee or tea for an afternoon treat.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Butter - Softened butter adds a rich buttery flavor along with a soft texture to the base of the cookies.
- Vanilla Extract - Adds a warming vanilla flavor throughout the cookie.
- Salt - Helps balance the sweetness in the cookie.
- Egg Yolks - Binds the cookie ingredients together while creating a soft texture.
- Granulated Sugar - Sweetens up the base of the cookie.
- All-Purpose Flour - The main dry ingredient, flour creates the structure of the cookie and adds its cake-like texture.
Filling and Topping
- Soft Caramels - These get melted down and added to the cookie to create a caramel filling.
- Milk Chocolate Chips - Add to the top to finish out the classic Twix flavor.
How To Make Twix Thumbprint Cookies
Mix the wet ingredients: In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until well combined. Mix in egg yolks and vanilla until well combined.
Add in flour: With the mixer on low speed, slowly add in flour. Mix until the flour is fully incorporated without overworking the dough.
Shape and chill: Using a 1-inch cookie scoop, place the dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Use the back of a 1-teaspoon measuring spoon to create a small well in the middle of the cookies. Chill in the refrigerator for 35-45 mins.
Bake and cool: Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until slightly golden around the edges. Remove the cookies from the oven and place them on a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Check indents: If the indents have flattened out after baking, gently push the centers down again with a 1-teaspoon measuring spoon.
Melt the caramel: When the cookies are completely cool, unwrap all of the caramels and place them in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on low for 30 seconds at a time stirring in between. Continue until the caramel is melted and smooth.
Add the filling: Spoon melted caramel into the indents, careful not to overfill them.
Melt the chocolate: Using a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips on low for 20 seconds at a time. Stirring in between. Continue melting until the chocolate in is smooth without burning.
Add the topping: Drizzle the chocolate over the top by using a piping bag with a small tip or a ziplock bag with a small hole in the tip cut.
Harden chocolate: Let the chocolate harden. Cool completely and enjoy!
- When making the cookie dough, be sure to not overwork it. Overworking the dough will result in a tough cookie.
- If you don’t have time to let the dough chill, you can place it in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool completely before adding the filling and topping.
- If you don’t have a piping bag, you can use a ziplock bag with the corner snipped off as a makeshift piping bag.
- If you don’t have softened butter, you can place cold butter in the microwave for 10-second intervals until it is soft.
- For a non-dairy option, use a vegan butter substitute.
- Instead of chocolate chips, use other types of chips including white chocolate, butterscotch, or peanut butter.
- Add a sprinkle of sea salt to the top of the cookies after they are drizzled with chocolate for a sweet and salty flavor combination.
- Add a nutty crunch by sprinkling chopped walnuts, pecans, or almonds on top of the chocolate.
- For more Twix flavor, mix in ½ cup of Twix baking bits into the cookie dough before chilling.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Cooled cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days.
Freezing: Cookie dough can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before baking. Baked cookies can also be frozen in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months. Thaw on the counter for 30 minutes before enjoying.
The indent in the center of the cookie is made by using your thumb (or the back of a spoon) to press down into the dough.
You can use a tablespoon to scoop out the dough or you can roll it into balls by hand, then place them on the cookie sheet.
You can also use chocolate ganache, peanut butter, or your favorite jam to fill these easy chocolate thumbprint cookies.
SHARE IT & RATE IT
We would love it if you would leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Then follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Share your favorite recipes or ask questions in our Facebook Group.
More Easy Cookie Recipes
- Classic Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
- Raspberry Lemonade Cookies
- Carrot Cake Mix Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies
- Easy M&M Cookie Bars
- Soft & Chewy Snickerdoodles Recipe
Easy Twix Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 cup butter (softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 egg yolks
- ⅔ granulated sugar
- 2⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 26 soft caramels (Kraft, or Werthers)
- ¾ cup milk chocolate chips
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until well combined.
- Mix in egg yolks and vanilla until well combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add in flour. Mix until the flour is fully incorporated.
- Using a 1-inch cookie scoop, place the dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Use the back of a 1-teaspoon measuring spoon in the middle of the cookies.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 35-45 mins.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place it in the preheated oven. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until slightly golden around the edges. Remove the cookies from the oven and place them on a wire cooling rack.
- If the indents have flattened out, gently push the centers down again with a 1-teaspoon measuring spoon.
- When the cookies are completely cool, unwrap the caramels and place them in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on low for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between. Continue until the caramel is melted and smooth.
- Spoon caramel into the indents being careful not to overfill them.
- Using a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips on low for 20 seconds. Stirring in between. Continue melting until the chocolate in is smooth.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the top by using a piping bag with a small tip or a ziplock bag with a small hole in the tip cut.
- Cool completely, and enjoy!
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.
Leave a Reply