These soft, spiced Carrot Cake Mix Cookies are sure to satisfy any sweet tooth. With a few simple ingredients and a box of carrot cake mix, you can easily whip up a batch of delicious cookies with an added layer of cream cheese frosting for extra indulgence!
Carrot cake is a classic baking favorite that has been around for centuries. It's a moist, spiced cake with grated carrots, walnuts, and (sometimes) raisins to add texture and flavor. The combination of spices—cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice—adds warmth to the cake and makes it an irresistible treat.
Carrot cake is beloved for its tender crumb and sweet flavor, making it the perfect dessert for any occasion and even better when made in the form of cookies! This recipe uses a pre-made carrot cake mix to give the cookies a unique and delicious flavor, along with a homemade cream cheese frosting that pairs perfectly with the spices and textures of carrot cake!
Serve carrot cake cookies with cream cheese frosting for an Easter celebration or a simple snack during the spring or any time of the year!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- They're easy to make with a boxed cake mix and common pantry ingredients.
- Loaded with sweet and warm spiced flavor in every bite.
- Perfect for Easter celebrations, birthdays, or just a special treat anytime!
- Homemade cream cheese frosting is easy to make and adds a creamy tanginess to each cookie.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Carrot Cake Mix - You can find boxed carrot cake mix in the baking section of most grocery stores. Popular brands include Betty Crocker, Duncan Hines, and Pillsbury.
- Eggs - Helps to bind the ingredients together and helps the cookies set while baking and cooling.
- Cooking Oil - Used to create a moist and dense texture throughout the cookies.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Salted Butter - Adds a thick texture to the frosting along with a buttery flavor.
- Cream Cheese - Gives the frosting a tangy twist while adding thickness to the frosting.
- Powdered Sugar - Sweetens up the frosting.
- Vanilla Extract - Adds a fragrant vanilla flavor to the frosting that pairs well with the warm spices.
How To Make Carrot Cake Cookies Using Cake Mix
Prepare for baking: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
Assemble cookie dough: To a large mixing bowl, add the cake mix, eggs, and oil. Whisk together until fully combined.
Scoop and bake: Use a 1½ inch cookie scoop to scoop the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet leaving about two inches in between each cookie. Bake for 9-12 minutes or until the cookies are lightly golden brown.
Cool the cookies: Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and let the cookies rest for 2-3 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make the cream cheese frosting: To a large mixing bowl, add the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla extract. Whip using the paddle attachment or an electric mixture until creamy. Then, add the powdered sugar until soft and fluffy.
Frost the cookies: Add the frosting to a piping bag with a round tip on the end. Slowly pipe the frosting onto the cookies in a circular direction, starting on the outside and moving into the center. Enjoy!
- When mixing the cookie dough, be sure not to over-mix, as this causes the cookies to turn out dry and crumbly.
- Once the cookies are done baking, allow them to cool for two minutes before transferring them to a wire rack. This ensures that the cookies will not break when transferring off of the baking sheet.
- Let the cookies cool completely before frosting, as the frosting will melt off of the cookies if they are still warm.
- If the cream cheese frosting is too thick, add a teaspoon of water or milk to thin it out. If it's too thin, add more powdered sugar until the desired consistency is reached.
- If you don't have a piping bag, you can add the frosting to a resealable plastic bag and cut one of the corners off.
- For best results, use full-fat cream cheese.
- For a nutty flavor, add ½ cup of chopped walnuts or pecans to the cookie dough before baking.
- Use freshly shredded carrot in the cake mix for even more sweet carrot flavor.
- If you like more cinnamon or spices, add them to the cookie dough before baking.
- If you don't have a boxed carrot cake mix, you can use a yellow cake mix and add in ½ teaspoon of cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg, and three tablespoons of shredded carrots.
- Garnish the top of the cookies with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar, chopped nuts, or a few shredded coconuts.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Once the cookies are cooled and frosted, they can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Freezing: To freeze these cookies, first, let the frosting set completely. Then place the cooled and frosted cookies on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place them in the freezer until they are frozen solid. Once frozen, transfer them to a resealable plastic bag, seal it, and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Yes, if you're short on time, pre-made cream cheese or vanilla frosting will work in a pinch.
Yes, you can use melted butter or applesauce as a substitution for the oil if desired. This will create a slightly different texture and flavor, but it will still taste delicious!
Yes, you can substitute the eggs for a flax egg or ¼ cup of applesauce. The texture of the cookie dough may be slightly different, but they should still turn out well. Additionally, use dairy-free cream cheese or vegan butter for the frosting. Please note that this recipe has not been tested with vegan ingredient substitutes.
More Easy Cookie Recipes
- Frosted Banana Cookies
- Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies
- Coconut Cake Mix Cookies
- Butterbeer Cookies
- Brownie Cookies
- Soft & Chewy Snickerdoodles
SHARE IT & RATE IT
We would love it if you would leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Then follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Share your favorite recipes or ask questions in our Facebook Group.
Carrot Cake Cookies
- 1 Carrot cake mix
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup cooking oil
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup salted butter room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add cake mix, eggs, and oil into a large mixing bowl. Stir together until well combined.
- Scoop the dough onto the cookie sheet using a 1½ inch cookie scoop. Leave about 2 inches between each cookie.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 2-3 minutes. Place cookies on a wire cooling rack.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Add butter, cream cheese, and vanilla extract to a mixing bowl. Using either a hand mixer or a stand mixer, whisk together until creamy.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar and mix until soft and fluffy.
- Using a piping bag with a round tip, slowly pipe the frosting onto the cookies in a circular direction, starting on the outside and moving into the center.
- Serve and enjoy!
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.
Leave a Reply