This fun twist on birthday cake is made from a simple cake mix, cream cheese frosting, and plenty of colorful sprinkles! Not only is it the perfect dessert for any celebration or special occasion, but these Birthday Cake Cookies With Cake Mix are also a breeze to make!
Skip the birthday cake this year and opt for these delicious cake mix cookies! If you are short on time and need an easy birthday dessert, take help from a boxed cake mix.
Instead of weighing and measuring typical baking ingredients, cake mix cookies use a box of prepared cake mix to make the batter. You’ll still get soft, birthday cake-like cookies that are packed with flavor.
This recipe uses a box of vanilla cake mix and rainbow sprinkles to give them a classic birthday cake taste. Mix it with oil and eggs to create the batter, and bake the cookies until the edges are golden brown. To top it off, you'll make a simple frosting using tangy cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and even more sprinkles to create a fun and festive look.
These cookies can be served at a birthday party, baby shower, Easter, or any special occasion! Go ahead and give this birthday cake cookie recipe a try.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Enjoy soft birthday cake-flavored cookies that come together in a snap.
- No electric mixer is needed; just mix the batter by hand in one bowl!
- It’s so much easier than making a traditional birthday cake from scratch.
- The perfect treat for any birthday celebration or special occasion!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Vanilla Cake Mix - You can find boxed cake mix in various different flavors in the baking section at your grocery store. Vanilla cake mix adds a classic birthday cake flavor to the cookies.
- Cooking Oil - A neutral flavored cooking oil such as canola or vegetable helps give the cookie dough moisture and texture.
- Eggs - Binds the cookie dough together and helps them set while baking.
- Sprinkles - Gives these cake cookies a fun rainbow look that's perfect for a celebration.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Powdered Sugar - This finely milled sugar adds sweetness to the frosting while helping to thicken it up.
- Cream Cheese - Softened cream cheese thickens the frosting, adding a tangy flavor.
- Vanilla Extract - Add a fragrant balancing vanilla flavor throughout the frosting.
- Softened Butter - Adds softness and texture along with a rich buttery flavor.
- Sprinkles - Adds a pop of rainbow color to the frosting that compliments the base of the cookies.
How To Make Birthday Cake Cookies With Cake Mix and Cream Cheese Frosting
Prepare for baking: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
Prepare the cookie dough: To a mixing bowl, add the boxed vanilla cake mix, cooking oil, eggs, and sprinkles. Use a rubber spatula to mix until the ingredients are combined, and a thick cookie dough is formed.
Scoop and bake: Use a 1.5-inch cookie scoop to form the cookies and place them on the baking sheet. Place them two inches apart in order to keep them from spreading into each other. Bake for 9-10 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Let the cookies sit on the baking sheet for 3 minutes before cooling them on a wire rack.
Make the cream cheese frosting: While the cookies are cooling, whip the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Then add the powdered sugar and mix until a light and creamy frosting is formed.
Frost the cookies: Add the frosting to a piping bag with a round tip and pipe the frosting onto the cooled cookies starting at the edge and forming a circle into the center. Sprinkle the tops with the remaining sprinkles, and enjoy!
- When mixing the cookie dough, be sure not to overmix, as this could cause the gluten strands to become too tense, resulting in a tough texture.
- If you don't have a piping bag with a round tip, you can use a zip-top bag with one corner snipped off and still make beautifully frosted cookies.
- Let the cookies cool completely before adding the frosting, as warm cookies will cause the frosting to melt off.
- If you don't like cream cheese frosting, try switching it out for a simple vanilla buttercream frosting.
- Instead of sprinkles, you can add chopped candy or nuts to the cookie dough for an extra crunch.
- Add different flavor extracts to the cookie dough, such as almond, coconut, or butter extracts, to change up the flavor.
- Instead of vanilla cake mix, you can use other flavors such as Funfetti, lemon, or strawberry cake mix.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Once cooled and frosted, birthday cake cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Freezing: To freeze birthday cake cookies, place them on a baking sheet with parchment paper and put them in the freezer for about 1-2 hours until hard. Then store them in a resealable bag or airtight container. The birthday cake cookies will stay fresh for up to 3 months.
Yes, birthday cake cookies can be enjoyed without the added cream cheese frosting. They still have wonderful flavor and texture, perfect for birthday parties or any special occasion.
No, birthday cake cookies do not need to be refrigerated and can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
Yes, birthday cake cookie dough can easily be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to bake, let the dough come to room temperature before scooping and baking.
More Cake Mix Cookie Recipes
- Carrot Cake Mix Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies
- Coconut Cake Mix Cookies
- Frosted Banana Cookies
SHARE IT & RATE IT
We would love it if you would leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Then follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Share your favorite recipes or ask questions in our Facebook Group.
Birthday Cake Cookies with Cake Mix
- 1 Vanilla Cake Mix
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup sprinkles
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3½-4 cups powdered sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter softened
- 4 tbsp sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add cake mix, oil, eggs, and sprinkles in a mixing bowl. Mix until all the ingredients are well blended.
- Scoop the dough onto the cookie sheet using a 1½ inch cookies scoop, making sure to leave at least 2 inches between each cookie.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes or until the edges turn a slightly golden brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven. Let the cookies sit on the cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes, then place the cookies on a baking rack to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Whip together cream cheese, vanilla extract and butter until smooth and creamy.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar and mix until its light and creamy.
- Using a piping bag with a round tip, pipe the frosting onto the cookie starting at the edges moving into the center in a swirl motion.
- Sprinkle the remaining sprinkles on top of the cookies and enjoy!
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.
Leave a Reply