Enjoy the Best Potato Salad Recipe that has the perfect balance of sweet and tangy flavor along with a great creamy texture and crunchy vegetables. It's the perfect side dish for your next BBQ or any main course!
Potato salad is a staple side dish for potlucks, BBQs and the perfect way to spice up any meal! Potato salad is typically made with boiled potatoes and a creamy mayonnaise dressing, but the variations are endless.
What makes this the best potato salad?
- We start with the freshest ingredients and incorporate the perfect combination of creamy, sweet, and tangy flavors in the dressing.
- This recipe uses russet potatoes are one of the best potatoes because they are the most starchy. This will help them hold their shape better when boiled.
- Miracle whip is used, which is a condiment that has a sweeter flavor than traditional mayonnaise. It also adds a tangy zip which helps enhance the taste.
- This creamy potato salad also incorporates crunchy bits of chopped celery and onion for a fun texture and lots of flavors.
- Boiled eggs are another addition to this classic recipe that provides the perfect creaminess and depth of flavor.
This classic potato salad is perfect for when you need a cold side dish for the summer. It's the perfect pairing for your favorite grilled meats, and the leftovers can be used the next day as a delicious sandwich spread or topping!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Russet Potatoes - These potatoes are classic for baking and is used in dishes where you need a firm and sturdy potato with a great taste.
- Miracle Whip - This condiment is like mayonnaise and gives the potato salad a whipped creamy texture.
- Sweet Relish - Adds a contrasting sweetness to the potato salad that pairs well with the savory ingredients.
- Yellow Mustard - Adds a burst of tangy mustard flavor that goes with the potatoes.
- Salt and Pepper - Balances and enhances all of the flavors in the potato salad.
- Hard Boiled Eggs - Adds a unique layer of flavor and texture to the potato salad that makes it fun and unique.
- Celery - Gives the potato salad a hearty crunch that blends well with the creaminess.
- Green and Yellow Onion - Adds a mild onion flavor and gives the dish a pop of fresh green color throughout.
How To Make The Best Creamy Potato Salad
Cook the potatoes: To a large pot, add the potatoes and add water until the potatoes are covered by 1 inch. Bring the potatoes to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover until the potatoes are cooked and tender.
This should take 25-30 minutes. Drain the potatoes and let them cool completely before cutting them into bite-sized squares.
Assemble the creamy potato salad dressing: In a large-sized mixing bowl, add the miracle whip, relish, mustard, salt, and black pepper to a large bowl. Mix until fully combined.
Mix the potatoes with creamy dressing: Add the potatoes into the dressing along with the celery, onion, and eggs and fold them until evenly distributed.
Chill and serve: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the potato salad chill for at least 4 hours before serving. Enjoy!
Best Potatoes For Potato Salad
- Russet Potatoes: These potatoes are the perfect type of potato to use in salads because they are the most starchy and hold their shape the best when boiled.
- Yukon Gold Potatoes: These potatoes also work great since they have a creamy texture and buttery flavor that pairs perfectly with the other ingredients in the salad.
- Red Potatoes: These potatoes can be used in the salad as well since they have a slightly sweet flavor and firm texture that hold up after boiling.
- Do not cook the potatoes too long as they will become too soft and mushy and will turn into a mashed potato salad.
- Chill the potato salad for at least 4 hours before serving to let the flavors meld together and the creamy dressing set up.
- The amount of time it takes to fully cook the potatoes will depend on the size. Generally, the smaller the potatoes, the quicker they will cook.
- Let the potatoes cool completely before adding the dressing, as warm potatoes will make the dressing runny.
- Instead of miracle whip, you can use the same amount of mayonnaise for the dressing.
- Spice up the salad by adding some hot sauce or jalapeno peppers to give the potato salad a little kick.
- For extra crunch, add some chopped pickles or bacon bits to the recipe.
- Use different types of mustard, such as dijon or honey mustard, for a unique flavor.
- Add other types of crunch vegetables, including carrots, bell peppers, or radishes.
- For additional sweetness, try adding some diced apples or raisins.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: After the potato salad is initially chilled and served, any leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
Freezing: This recipe does not freeze well due to the creamy texture of the dressing and the fact that the potatoes will be mushy once thawed.
This is a personal preference as the skin of the potatoes does give the potato salad some texture. If you prefer, the potatoes can be peeled before boiling.
Yes, the best potato salad can be made up to 24 hours in advance and stored in the fridge until ready to serve.
Yes, for a more tangy flavor, you can add a few tablespoons of white vinegar or apple cider to the dressing.
More Easy Side Dishes
- Baked Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Authentic Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- Best Ever Twice Baked Potatoes
- Sheet Pan Breadsticks
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad
SHARE IT & RATE IT
We would love it if you would leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Then follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Share your favorite recipes or ask questions in our Facebook Group.
Best Potato Salad Recipe
- 5 lbs russet potatoes (cleaned and peeled
- 2 cups miracle whip
- ⅓ cup sweet relish
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 6 hard-boiled eggs (peeled and chopped)
- ½ cup celery (diced)
- ⅓ cup green onions (diced)
- ⅓ cup yellow onion (diced)
- Add potatoes to a pot and cover with 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and let cool. When the potatoes are cool, cut them into bite-size cubes.
- Add miracle whip, relish, mustard, salt, and black pepper to a large bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Place the remaining ingredients in the bowl. Gently fold them into the sauce.
- Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours before serving.
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.
Leave a Reply