Air Fryer Chicken Breasts are an easy way to get a perfectly cooked piece of chicken in no time! Use it in your favorite meals, or enjoy it alone with your favorite side dishes!
The air fryer has gained so much traction over the last few years, and for a good reason! The air fryer is essentially a small convection oven that uses hot air to cook, making it a healthier alternative to traditional frying. Plus, the air fryer is super easy to use and can whip up delicious meals in no time!
One of the easiest air fryer recipes is chicken breast! It’s so simple to make and provides a delicious, juicy piece of chicken every time.
Use air-fried chicken breast in many different dishes, including salads, sandwiches, wraps, tacos, or burritos. If you’re looking for a classic dinner dish, then serve it with boiled potatoes and steamed vegetables!
Why The Air Fryer Is The Best Way To Cook Chicken Breast
- The hot air circulates around the food, ensuring that it’s cooked evenly and quickly. This ensures that your chicken breast is juicy and flavorful every time!
- Air-fried chicken breast also requires less oil than traditional frying methods, making it a much healthier option.
- It takes a fraction of the time to cook compared to traditional methods.
- Clean-up is a breeze! No need to wash a bunch of pots and pans. Just clean the air fryer basket, and you're good to go.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken Breast - Boneless skinless chicken breast can be found in different sizes and is high in protein.
- Olive Oil - Helps the seasoning stick to the chicken breast while giving the chicken a crust on the outside, so it stays tender on the inside.
- Dried Seasonings - A mix of paprika, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and onion powder work together to give the chicken breast a great diverse flavor.
How To Make Chicken Breast In The Air Fryer
Assemble the chicken marinade: Add paprika, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and onion powder to a small bowl. Mix until combined. Add olive oil and mix until fully combined.
Prepare the chicken: Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel and trim off any excess fat. Coat both sides of the chicken with the seasoning mixture.
Air fry chicken breast: Place the chicken in the air fryer basket and cook at 370 degrees for 10 minutes. Turn the chicken over and continue to cook for 4-8 minutes or until the chicken reaches 160° internally.
Rest and serve: Remove chicken and place on a plate. Cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Cooking Time Chart
How long to cook chicken breast in the air fryer will depend on the size of your chicken breast. Use the chart below for a general idea of how long it will take to fully cook your chicken in the air fryer.
- Small Chicken Breasts (5-7 ounces) – 14 minutes
- Medium Chicken Breasts (8-9 ounces) – 16 minutes
- Large Breasts Chicken (10-12 ounces) – 18 minutes
- Letting the chicken rest after cooking is important as it helps retain the juices and prevents it from drying out.
- The best way to check if your chicken is cooked through is by inserting a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken and make sure it reads at least 160°.
- Use tongs to turn the chicken over in the air fryer to ensure even cooking on both sides.
- Don’t overcrowd your air fryer basket; cook the chicken breast in batches if necessary.
Chicken breast can be seasoned in a variety of different ways before cooking. Here are some of our favorite ideas:
- Lemon Pepper: Combine lemon zest, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and a pinch of salt for a simple yet flavorful seasoning.
- Garlic Parmesan: Mix together minced garlic, grated parmesan cheese, dried basil leaves and Italian seasoning for the perfect cheesy flavor.
- Cajun: Add smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, black pepper and a pinch of salt to get that traditional Cajun flavor.
- BBQ Rub: Mix together chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, sugar and cumin for a classic BBQ taste.
- Garlic Herb: Make a mix of fresh minced garlic, dried oregano and thyme, black pepper and a pinch of salt for a delicious herby flavor.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Once cooled, store the cooked chicken breast in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Freezing: Place cooled chicken in a ziplock bag and freeze for up to 6 months.
Reheating: Transfer thawed out chicken onto a plate and microwave until fully warmed through or reheat in the air fryer at 360°F for 5 minutes.
If you’re using a frozen chicken breast, you will need to cook it for 20-25 minutes at 370°F or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
One way to keep chicken from drying out in the air fryer is to ensure you’re using the correct cooking temperature and don’t overcook it. Also, try marinating your chicken for a few hours before air frying it for added flavor and moisture.
Air fried chicken is delicious served with roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes, salads or a nice grain like quinoa. You can also use it in sandwiches, wraps or tacos for a quick and nutritious meal.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
- Creamy Tuscan Garlic Chicken
- Easy Puff Pastry Chicken Pot Pie
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Honey Teriyaki Chicken
- Easy Creamy Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
SHARE IT & RATE IT
Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
- Add paprika, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and onion powder to a small bowl. Mix until combined. Add olive oil and mix.
- Coat both sides of the chicken with the mixture.
- Put the chicken in the air fryer basket and cook at 370 degrees for 10 minutes. Turn the chicken over and continue to cook for 4-8 minutes or until the chicken reaches 160° internally.
- Remove chicken and place on a plate. Cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Small Breasts (5-7 ounces) – 14 minutes
- Medium Breasts (8-9 ounces) – 16 minutes
- Large Breasts (10-12 ounces) – 18 minutes
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.