Are you looking for the perfect way to make a classic dessert even more delicious? Try making these Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats! With just a few simple ingredients and easy steps, you can make this decadent treat that kids and adults alike will love.
A Rice Krispie treat is a classic dessert made with melted marshmallows, butter, and crispy rice cereal. It's gooey, sweet, and crunchy – the perfect combination for an irresistible treat!
There are so many ways to flavor a rice Krispie treat, including adding chocolate or peanut butter, but salted caramel is a delicious twist! It adds a touch of salty, rich caramel flavor that elevates the taste!
Simply take a basic rice Krispie treat recipe that includes cereal, butter, and marshmallow, then add Werther's chewy caramels! The caramels give each bite of this treat a unique sweet and salty flavor.
Serve this easy dessert as an after-school snack or as a special treat for the holidays or special occasions!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It's made with just five simple ingredients you can find at any grocery store.
- It takes less than 20 minutes to make.
- The sweet and salty flavor of the caramels is a delicious twist on a classic treat.
- It’s so easy; even kids can help make it!
- You can customize this recipe with different mix-ins or toppings.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Unsalted Butter - Gets melted down to add a rich buttery flavor and to help the marshmallows stick to the cereal.
- Mini Marshmallows - Helps bind the cereal together and gives the treats a gooey texture.
- Werther's Chewy Caramels - This classic candy adds a bold caramel flavor that pairs well with the crunch of the cereal and the sticky texture of the marshmallows.
- Rice Krispie Cereal - Makes up the bulk of the treat and adds a nice crunch.
- Salt - Helps balance the sweetness in the dessert and brings out the caramel flavor.
How To Make Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats
Prepare the pan: Prepare a 13x9 inch baking pan by spraying it with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
Melt the wet mixture: To a microwave-safe bowl, add the marshmallows (reserving one cup), butter, and caramels. Melt in 25-second intervals stirring in between, until the mixture is fully melted.
Mix the cereal in: Add the remaining cup of marshmallows to the mixture along with half of the cereal. Mix until well combined, then add the rest of the rice Krispies until evenly distributed into the mixture.
Press and cool: Oil your hands, then press the mixture into the prepared pan until it is flat and even. Don't press too tightly. Let the treat cool in the fridge until firm. Slice and enjoy!
- When melting the wet ingredients, be sure not to overheat or burn them, as it could cause the treat not to set properly.
- If you don’t have Werther's chewy caramels, you can use regular caramel candies that are soft.
- Oil your hands before pressing the mixture into the pan to prevent sticking.
- When pressing into the pan, don't press down too tightly, as this can result in a dry treat that is too dense.
- Wait until the treats are completely cooled before cutting, as they can be too sticky if they aren't firm enough.
- Add a layer of melted chocolate on top for a chocolaty twist.
- Mix in chopped nuts or toasted coconut for extra crunch.
- Use peanut butter instead of butter for an interesting flavor combination.
- Sprinkle with flaked sea salt before cutting to add extra salty notes.
- Instead of rice Krispies, use cornflakes or another cereal for a different crunch.
- Mix colored marshmallows in for a festive look.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Once cooled completely, the rice Krispie treats can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Freezing: To freeze, wrap the treat in parchment paper and place it in a zip-top bag. Store in the freezer for up to two months. When ready to eat, let thaw overnight or defrost in the microwave before eating.
No, hard caramels will not work for this recipe, as they won’t melt correctly. Stick with a soft, chewy caramel, such as Werther's or other similar brands.
Yes, you can use any crispy cereal you like, such as cornflakes, wheat flakes, bran flakes, and more.
Yes, you can make the treats up to four days in advance and store them in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to serve. You can also freeze them for up to two months.
More Easy Dessert Recipes
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- Soft & Chewy Snickerdoodles
- Twix Thumbprint Cookies
- Brownie Cookies
- Easy M&M Cookie Bars
SHARE IT & RATE IT
We would love it if you would leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Then follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Share your favorite recipes or ask questions in our Facebook Group.
Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter
- 20 oz mini marshmallows
- 10 oz Werthers chewy caramels
- 9 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- ¾ tsp salt
- Prepare a 13x9 inch baking pan by spraying it with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add all but 1 cup of marshmallows, butter, and cut-up caramels in a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Melt on high for 25-second intervals, stirring in between each one.
- Once everything is melted and mixed together, add the remaining cup of marshmallows and half of the Rice Krispies. Once everything is mixed well, add the remaining Rice Krispies and continue mixing until thoroughly blended.
- Pour the Rice Krispie mixture into the prepared pan. Spray a small amount of cooking spray onto your clean hands and gently press the mixture into the pan. Be careful not to press it too tightly into the pan. Press just enough that it is even.
- Cool completely, serve and ENJOY!
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.
Leave a Reply