Looking for a festive and easy cookie recipe to make this holiday season? Try making Peppermint Sugar Cookie Bars! These delicious bars are topped with a creamy, minty frosting that melts in your mouth. A great holiday treat!
Nothing says the holidays are here like the refreshing taste of peppermint. When looking for the perfect holiday cookie recipe, sheet pan sugar cookies are one of the easiest options to make. Assemble an easy sugar cookie dough using simple baking ingredients, press it into a sheet pan, and bake. They’re perfect for a crowd or just yourself!
The best part about these cookie bars is the frosting. Softened cream cheese is mixed with powdered sugar and peppermint extract for a lusciously creamy, minty topping that gets spread on top of the simple sugar cookie bars.
The result is a sweet and minty cookie that’s perfect for the holiday season!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- The combination of a simple sugar cookie with a creamy peppermint frosting is just the right balance of sweet and minty.
- Perfect for holiday gatherings, these sheet pan sugar cookies with peppermint are not only easy to make, but they’re also incredibly delicious!
- No need to roll or scoop. Simply frost and slice them into bars, and they're ready to go!
- All of the ingredients are easy to find, and you may already have them on hand.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Softened Butter - This makes up the rich base of the sugar cookie dough, providing a buttery flavor.
- Granulated Sugar - Sweetens up the cookie dough while adding texture.
- Eggs - Helps the bars set properly when baking and also adds richness.
- Vanilla Extract - Infuses the sugar cookies with a light vanilla flavor.
- Salt & Baking Soda - Helps the bars rise slightly while baking.
- All-Purpose Flour - Creates the structure of the bars that hold all of the ingredients together.
Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting
- Softened Cream Cheese - Gives the frosting a tangy, thick base.
- Softened Butter - Adds richness and texture to the frosting.
- Peppermint Extract - Gives the cookie bars their festive peppermint flavor.
- Vanilla Extract - Enhances the overall flavor of the frosting.
- Powdered Sugar - Helps thicken up the frosting while adding sweetness.
How To Make Peppermint Sugar Cookie Bars
Prepare for baking: Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare cookie sheet (12"x17" or 13"x18") by spraying with cooking spray, and set aside.
Assemble the wet ingredients: Add the butter and sugar to a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Blend until light and fluffy. This should take about 2-3 minutes. Add the vanilla and eggs one at a time and mix until incorporated.
Add the dry ingredients: To the stand mixer, add the vanilla extract and the eggs. Then, slowly add the flour until a soft dough is formed.
Assemble the cookie bars: Press the sugar cookie dough into the prepared baking sheet in an even layer. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cookie dough bars are slightly brown on top.
Make the peppermint cream cheese frosting: While the cookie bars are baking, assemble the frosting. Add all of the ingredients to a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and mix until a fluffy thick frosting is formed.
Cool and frost: Once the cookie bars are finished baking, remove them from the oven and let them cool completely. Frost with the peppermint frosting and slice into bars. Enjoy!
- Start with room-temperature ingredients for the cookie dough. This will help ensure that all of the wet ingredients are well incorporated and give a better texture.
- When mixing the cookie dough, do not overmix. This will cause the bars to become dense and tough. When adding the flour, add it in small batches until a soft dough is formed. This will prevent overmixing and ensure that the cookie bars are light and fluffy.
- When pressing the cookie dough into the pan, use a bit of flour on your hands to ensure the dough does not stick.
- Ensure the bars are completely cooled before adding the frosting, as this will help the frosting adhere to the bars better.
- While the bars are cooling, store the peppermint frosting in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Variations & Mix-Ins
- For an extra festive touch, top the bars with crushed peppermint candy.
- You can also try adding chocolate chips or sprinkles to the cookie dough prior to baking for a fun twist!
- Mix in chopped nuts such as walnuts or pecans for a crunchy texture.
- Add some peppermint extract into the cookie dough for an extra minty flavor.
- If you're not a fan of cream cheese frosting, feel free to use any type of frosting that you like.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Once cooled, store the sliced and frosted cookie bars in an airtight container on the countertop for 3-4 days. They can also be stored in the fridge.
Freezing: Slice and frost the cookie bars, and then place them in a freezer-safe container or bag before freezing. When ready to enjoy, let the bars thaw out on the countertop for about 30 minutes before serving.
Peppermint extract has a stronger flavor than mint extract, which is more subtle.
Yes, simply scoop the cookie dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Yes, simply swap the all-purpose flour for a gluten-free baking mix and proceed with the recipe as written. Also, be sure to check the rest of your ingredients for wheat.
More Easy Dessert Recipes
SHARE IT & RATE IT
We would love it if you would leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Then follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Share your favorite recipes or ask questions in our Facebook Group.
Peppermint Sugar Cookie Bars
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 2½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
- ½ cup butter (softened)
- 1 tsp peppermint flavoring
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups powder sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Prepare cookie sheet (12"x17" or 13"x18") by spraying with cooking spray, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy (2-3 mins.).
- Next, add vanilla and eggs, mix well.
- While the mixer is on add salt, and baking soda. Slowly add in flour until well blended.
- Pour dough in the cookie sheet and evenly distribute it in the pan. Press dough in the pan. Tip: sprinkle flour on top of the dough to avoid it sticking to your fingers.
- Bake for 20-25 min. or until slightly golden brown.
Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a mixing bowl cream together cream cheese, butter, peppermint flavoring, and vanilla flavoring.
- Slowly add in powder sugar. Mix until blended well.
- When the sheet pan is completely cool. Frost and enjoy!!
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.
Leave a Reply